Team preview: UCLA
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2005 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of July 1, 2005)COACH AND PROGRAM
From a distance, it may appear UCLA didn't make any forward progress in 2004. A year earlier, it went 4-4 in the Pac-10 and 6-7 overall, losing a lower-tier Bowl game to Fresno State.
Dorrell was anything but disappointed by his team's play in 2004.
That's because wins and losses aside, UCLA was among the most improved teams in the Pac-10 last season. In fact, it's not far-fetched that the Bruins could win double-digit games this autumn and play in a premier Bowl game come January.
Sure, UCLA's record might not indicate that, but it's not often an offense doubles its rushing and passing production in the same season. The Bruins nearly accomplished that rare feat in 2004. And their 184.9 rushing yards per game ranked second in the Pac-10, an increase of 93 yards per game.
"We definitely feel like that last year was a success," Dorrell said. "We were more inspired last season than in 2003 and we made tremendous gains that weren't reflected in our wins and losses. This program is on the upswing and we had a great spring practice, too.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Miami's Knighton out of hospital after falling ill
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings UCLA Bruins Junior-Sized Tailgater Football
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider