Team preview: Oregon State
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2005 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of July 1, 2005)COACH AND PROGRAM
Things were going so well for Mike Riley and his Oregon State team. Consider:
• The Bowl invitation was the program's fifth in six years. That's even more impressive considering that when Riley guided OSU to a 5-6 record in his second season in 1998, it was the program's best season in 27 years.
• The Beavers finished 7-5 and celebrated their third straight winning season. The last time OSU enjoyed such success Richard Nixon occupied the White House.
• The newly renovated Reser Stadium, which cost $93 million and includes almost 8,000 new seats, 22 luxury boxes and a restaurant, is expected to be revealed for the 2005 season. Never mind that the Beavers have sold out 29 straight home games.
• By virtue of the conference's rotating schedule, the Beavers are the lone Pac-10 that doesn't have two-time defending national champion and consensus preseason No. 1 USC on the 2005 schedule.
• OSU won six of its last seven games in 2004, with the lone loss coming to USC by just eight points. And its five Pac-10 wins were tied for the second-most in program history. Talk about momentum heading into spring practice.
And then it happened. And then it happened again. And again. And then there was "Judge Judy."
Of course, we can't forget the stolen sheep, either.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Oregon State Beavers Black #7 Football Game Jersey
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider