Team preview: Oregon
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2005 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of July 1, 2005)COACH AND PROGRAM
Oregon coach Mike Bellotti is the dean of Pac-10 coaches. He took the reigns of the program in 1995 and this will be his 11th season. He has won 67 percent of his games, 80-of-120, and played in eight bowl games. And for a while there, life was pretty good in Eugene.
"I've had a couple games over the years that were more disappointing, but not many," Bellotti said. "Overall, the season was very disappointing. We were just so inconsistent, we started off poorly, stepped up and looked like a good football team and then slipped up again. But in my mind, what hurt most was the frustration of playing your natural rival and knowing that a win means a bowl game and just not having the energy to win.
"Those types of games should be fun. Something wrong's when your team isn't fired up for a game like that. I looked at myself and asked, 'What did I do wrong?' On the flip side, that loss, that feeling is part of what is fueling us this off-season."
It was a pretty eventful off-season for Oregon. While the Ducks stayed away from the police blotter, unlike some other Pac-10 programs, Bellotti did revamp his staff. The highlight of that revamping was offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig departing for a similar position at Utah and former BYU head coach Gary Crowton succeeding him.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider