Team preview: California
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2005 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of July 1, 2005)COACH AND PROGRAM
The question was asked innocently enough. The reporter mentioned that many pundits were picking Cal out of the top three in the Pac-10 this season. Fourth-year coach Jeff Tedford paused for a second before answering.
"I mean, is the question whether we'll be competitive?"
After talking in a monotone, relaxed voice for nearly 15 minutes, Tedford's voice rose as he repeated the question before the reporter could answer.
"Will we compete? There is no doubt that we'll be a competitive football team this fall," Tedford said. "It doesn't matter where we were as a team this spring or even going into August. We might not have the experience we did last year, but I assure you, this team will compete."
There it is. In barely 150 words, that's why Tedford has enjoyed unequaled success over his first three seasons at Cal. From the day he was hired and inherited a 1-10 football team to coming within a touchdown of possibly playing for the national championship in 2004, Tedford honestly doesn't care about how his team is supposed to perform.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider