Team preview: BYU
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2005 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of July 1, 2005)COACH AND PROGRAM
It's out with the old and in with the new at BYU, where Bronco Mendenhall takes over from former coach Gary Crowton.
"This is the look of BYU football," Mendenhall said when the dark blue and white throwbacks were introduced. "Once you have a symbol that reflects greatness, it should not be changed. Consistency is key to a lasting tradition."
That tradition has taken an uncharacteristic beating in Provo the last three seasons as the Cougars have gone 14-21 since losing the 2001 Liberty Bowl.
Mendenhall was promoted from defensive coordinator to become the program's 14th head coach on Dec. 13, 2004. It is his first head coaching position after 16 years as an assistant at BYU, New Mexico, Louisiana Tech and Oregon State, among others.
In his first season in charge of the Cougars' defense in 2003, he engineered the nation's 14th-ranked unit and held opponents to 307 yards per game. Under his direction, the Cougars ranked eighth nationally in passing defense, surrendering 176.2 yards per game.
In 2004, BYU ranked third in the Mountain West in rushing defense (149.3 yards per game) and was second in the league in sacks with 34 for minus-232 yards.
"We will continue to have an aggressive defense, along with an up-tempo, high-powered offense," Mendenhall said. "Our goal is to be as exciting and competitive as any team in the country."
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's BYU Cougars Blue 'Royal, Strong and True' Fan T-Shirt
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider