Team preview: Toledo
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
Originally Published: July 25, 2005Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2005 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of July 1, 2005)COACH AND PROGRAM
They call him "Toledo Tom," and with Tom Amstutz's impressive record the last four years, he could probably run for mayor in his hometown. Since Amstutz took over at his alma mater in 2001, the Rockets have had four winning seasons, been to three bowl games, won three MAC West titles and two conference championships. But when the Rockets take the field in the Glass Bowl on Sept. 1 to play Western Illinois, none of that will matter to their head coach. As far as Amstutz is concerned, UT will be back to square one even though they are a heavy favorite to win the MAC West this season. "I look at each season as a new challenge," he said. "Each season is a clean slate. We have a tradition of winning here but that doesn't assure us of even one victory next year."
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
- Sources: No penalty for reversed targeting call
- Missouri rewards Pinkel with bump to $3.1M
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com