Team preview: Northern Illinois
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
Originally Published: July 25, 2005Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2005 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of July 1, 2005)COACH AND PROGRAM
The Chicago Cubs are not the only sports team feeling cursed in the state of Illinois these days. Meet Joe Novak and the Northern Illinois football team. Over the last three years the Huskies have upset Maryland, Alabama and Iowa State, been ranked as high as No. 10 in the BCS and No. 12 in the Associated Press poll, gone to their first bowl game in 21 seasons and won, and earned a share of a MAC West title three times. But, just like a chance at the World Series has eluded the Cubbies, the Huskies have been denied a crack at a MAC championship. The biggest reason could be summed up in one word -- Toledo. The Rockets have owned NIU, winning 11 straight in the series, including last season's 31-17 victory that turned out to be the Huskies' lone blemish in the MAC.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Miami's Knighton out of hospital after falling ill
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com