Team preview: Akron
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2005 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of July 1, 2005)COACH AND PROGRAM
On Dec. 15, 2003, the day J.D. Brookhart was hired as the head football coach at Akron, the college's administration made it clear that a new standard was being put in place.
After an 0-3 start in 2004, Akron rebounded to earn a chance at the MAC East crown and become bowl eligible. The Zips' postseason hopes were dashed in a 37-27 loss to Miami in the regular-season finale, but the seeds for success have been planted.
"We did some good things," said Brookhart, who was chosen MAC Coach of the Year.The Zips did them by playing what Brookhart calls, "efficient football," something they'll have to continue to do in order to carry last season's success into this season when a new crop of players will take over several key positions.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Miami's Knighton out of hospital after falling ill
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Adidas Women's Akron Zips Tri-Blend Navy Football T-Shirt
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider