Team preview: Tulane
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2005 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of July 1, 2005)COACH AND PROGRAM
After some steady progress after Chris Scelfo's first season, Tulane's improvement has leveled off the last two years. The Green Wave has won just five games each of the last two seasons and is in the middle of streak in which it has won just seven of its last 20 games.
"I think we've solidified our place in college football," Scelfo said. "I think our student-athletes have expanded themselves in the classroom and on the field. We've got one of the deepest, youngest teams we've ever had. But we're as solid across the board as we have been."
That's certainly true on offense, where the line is deep and experienced, where there's another explosive quarterback and where the backfield is filled with options.
In order to win more games, however, Scelfo knows the Green Wave must play better defensively. There's not a whole lot returning, and this was a unit that ranked near the bottom of almost every statistical category.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Miami's Knighton out of hospital after falling ill
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider