Team preview: Houston
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2005 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of July 1, 2005)COACH AND PROGRAM
Though Houston seemingly took a step back last season with just three victories, third-year coach Art Briles thinks he has the Cougars on the right track. He points to 17 returning starters -- including many at the skill positions, and the fact that in 2004 his young team lost a pair of tough road games -- by three points to Rice and in overtime to Southern Mississippi.
That probably starts on defense, where the Cougars are switching to a 3-4 alignment in hopes of taking advantage of a set of quick and experienced linebackers. Briles and defensive coordinator Ron Harris installed the new defense in the spring and liked the early returns.
There is ample room for improvement. Last year Houston finished 92nd nationally against the run, 95th against the pass and 96th in scoring defense.
"We've got a lot of guys who have played a lot the last few years," Briles said. "We have to rely on them really being good leaders and taking us to the next level."
On offense, the Cougars will try to return to the production of 2003. After averaging 458.3 yards and 34.5 points per game that season, Houston dropped to 389.7 and 20.9, respectively, in '04.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
- Sources: No penalty for reversed targeting call
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider