Team preview: Oklahoma
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
Originally Published: July 16, 2005Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2005 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of July 1, 2005)COACH AND PROGRAM
Two years ago, Oklahoma went 12-0 in the regular season only to lose its two biggest games of the year, the Big 12 Championship and the BCS National Championship. Last season, the Sooners went one step farther, smoking Colorado, 42-3, in the Big 12 title game after another perfect regular season (the school's 11th since 1938). But once again, OU came up short on the game's biggest stage. And this time, it wasn't even close. Southern Cal's 55-19 rout of the Sooners in the FedEx Orange Bowl raised plenty of eyebrows across the nation's heartland. Entering the 2005 campaign, the Sooner Nation has high hopes that after falling in the National Championship Game for two straight seasons, the third time will be a charm. However, skeptics point out that this is not the same type of Oklahoma team as in recent years past.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Miami's Knighton out of hospital after falling ill
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com