Team preview: Georgia Tech
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
Originally Published: July 15, 2005Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2005 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of July 1, 2005)COACH AND PROGRAM
The Yellow Jackets have been buzzing about the 2005 season for a while, looking ahead to a return to the top of the college football hive. But while there's lots of talent and experience on coach Chan Gailey's fourth team on The Flats, there are also some serious questions and some events that may conspire to break up the party. Tech was already scheduled to rebuild its always-reliable offensive line, but now the loss of two players on the defensive front may shake things up on that side of the ball, too. And speaking of Ball, junior quarterback Reggie Ball is expected to continue his development and bring more consistency to team with his big-play panache. Only this year he has to do it behind that inexperienced offensive line. Defensive coordinator Jon Tenuta's swarming Jackets were 12th in the nation in total defense a year ago, yielding just 297.9 yards per game, but Tech lost All-ACC safety James Butler, forcing some shuffling. Now defensive tackle Darryl Richard has been lost for the season with a knee injury and defensive end Travis Parker was lost to academic suspension, not the first time on Gailey's watch academic shortcomings have shortchanged his lineup.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
- Sources: No penalty for reversed targeting call
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Rawlings Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets Youth-Sized Hail Mary Rubber Football
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com