Team preview: Maryland
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2005 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of July 1, 2005)COACH AND PROGRAM
The first losing season in the Ralph Friedgen era at Maryland left the Terrapins a bit shell-shocked.
And as a bad as last season's 5-6, bowl-less finish was for Friedgen's Legions, the hard lessons learned should make the Terrapins stronger in 2005. The Terps had become a little a fat and happy since Friedgen's arrival. His first three seasons included 31 wins, an ACC Championship, three bowl appearances and two bowl victories.But the wheels came off the bandwagon last year as poor quarterback play stifled the usually high-powered Maryland offense. There were frustrating breakdowns in the offensive line and at wide receiver and a game, but smallish defense was on the field too much. Few leaders emerged and the Terps ended up playing out the string, a first in the Friedgen years.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Youth Maryland Terrapins Red 'Light 'Em Up' Tech Performance T-Shirt
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider