Team preview: Maryland
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005 college football season, exclusively on Insider.
The first losing season in the Ralph Friedgen era at Maryland left the Terrapins a bit shell-shocked.
And as a bad as last season's 5-6, bowl-less finish was for Friedgen's Legions, the hard lessons learned should make the Terrapins stronger in 2005. The Terps had become a little a fat and happy since Friedgen's arrival. His first three seasons included 31 wins, an ACC Championship, three bowl appearances and two bowl victories.But the wheels came off the bandwagon last year as poor quarterback play stifled the usually high-powered Maryland offense. There were frustrating breakdowns in the offensive line and at wide receiver and a game, but smallish defense was on the field too much. Few leaders emerged and the Terps ended up playing out the string, a first in the Friedgen years.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Longhorns kick four more off team
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- TCU's Fields surrenders to assault warrant
- Auburn's Marshall pays pot possession fines
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Under Armour Men's Maryland Terrapins #1 Red Replica Football Jersey