Auburn could be in for a drop-off
Tigers, Cowboys and Spartans among the teams that could regress in 2011
Last week we took a look at five teams that should rise in 2010.
This week we will flip that around and take a look at five teams that finished with a winning record in 2010 (and in certain cases, reached 10 wins) but may see a significant drop-off in the win-loss column in 2011.
We evaluated their fall-off potential by looking at five critical categories: (1) a loss of at least eight starters; (2) a tough schedule that includes at least seven teams that went to a bowl or had a winning record in 2010; (3) a significant offensive hurdle to overcome; (4) a significant defensive hurdle to overcome; and (5) an X factor.
Returning starters: offense 3, defense 4, kicker/punter 0
Difficult matchups: Mississippi State (9-4 in 2010), at Clemson (6-7), at South Carolina (9-5), at Arkansas (10-3), Florida (8-5), at LSU (11-2), at Georgia (6-7), Alabama (10-3)
To read more about why Auburn could suffer a drop-off in 2011, and the other four teams that are candidates to regress this season, become an ESPN Insider today.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Ex-Penn State QB Bench transferring to USF
- Host Finebaum joining SEC Network, ESPN
- Ex-PSU prez seeks dismissal of criminal charges
- Sims won't return to Houston for senior season
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation