Five bounce-back teams for 2011
They had losing records last season, but these five teams could go bowling
Although most offseason chatter understandably revolves around teams that are strong contenders for national, conference or division titles, other teams could show significant improvement during the 2011 season.
The teams that follow here fit perfectly into this category. All five finished with losing records in 2010 -- and all five have a very good chance to go bowling this season. We evaluated their bounce-back potential by looking at five critical categories: (1) a high percentage of returning starters; (2) a favorable schedule (at least four games in which the team is even or favored); (3) an underrated strength; (4) an overrated weakness; and (5) an X factor.
Returning starters: offense 7, defense 8
Favorable matchups: at Houston (5-7 in 2010), vs. San Jose State (1-12), at Oregon State (5-7), vs. Washington State (2-10), vs. California (5-7), vs. Colorado (5-7)
To read more about why UCLA should make a bowl game in 2011, and also read about four other losing teams poised for turnaround seasons, become an ESPN Insider today.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Oklahoma St. limits QB Lunt's options
- For Irish, may be BCS or bust for bowl spot
- Saban: 'Devil' words 'terribly disappointing'
- Running back Richardson will leave Virginia
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
• Joyner: Prospects set for breakout seasons
• Haney: Prospects who can elevate programs
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation