How South Carolina can beat Auburn
The Gamecocks' ability to capitalize on the Tigers' mistakes will be critical
Only one conference championship game in 2010 features a rematch from the regular season. When the SEC championship kicks off Saturday afternoon, a BCS title game appearance is on the line for the Auburn Tigers, so long as they can defeat the South Carolina Gamecocks for the second time in only a few months. History is on their side for a repeat: Four of the last five SEC championship rematches were claimed by the team that won the first matchup.
While it won't be as simple as following the same script that played out Sept. 25, each team can learn a lot from the 35-27 Auburn victory on that night at Jordan-Hare Stadium and find specific areas for improvement for Saturday's game in the Georgia Dome. At Football Outsiders, we draw our own conclusions from the drive and play-by-play data. Based on the data from the first meeting 10 weeks ago, what should Auburn and South Carolina focus on in the SEC championship?
To read the reasons why Auburn's BCS title game hopes may be derailed by South Carolina on Saturday, you must be an ESPN Insider.
Brian FremeauESPN Insider
• Creator of the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI), a measure of college football team efficiency
• Contributor to Football Outsiders and his own site, bcftoys.com
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Former Cal AD Barbour hired by Penn State
- Sources: Longhorns kick four more off team
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- UGA frosh Bellamy faces DUI, speeding charges
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
WEEK 14 PREVIEW
ON THE MARK
POWER AND PAIN
SCOUTS INC. PREVIEWS: WEEK 14
- New World Graphics Men's Auburn Tigers Blue BCS Championship Bowl Bound Invested T-Shirt