Eliminator: Are Missouri Tigers legit?
Yes, although at Nebraska will be a test; do not go all-in on Auburn, either
We saw a pair of national title contenders-turned-pretenders fall this weekend, as two teams that did not fit the Eliminator's profile for a national champion (the LSU Tigers and Oklahoma Sooners) bit the dust against two teams that will be a big part of the BCS conversation this week (the Auburn Tigers and Missouri Tigers).
With each passing week, each conference's stats are taking firmer hold. Just a quick reminder about what our system does: Based on statistical success indicators in college football, we've set six benchmarks that every champion of the past six years has met in each individual race, both in the six BCS conferences and in the national title race. To delve deeper into our formula, check out our season-opening post here.
As we look at each race this week, we see some interesting trends emerging, including the fact the Boise State Broncos, Oregon Ducks and TCU Horned Frogs are still the teams most closely resembling past national champions. Also included in this week's post: why Missouri is a legit threat to win the Big 12 (but less of a BCS title candidate); why the Michigan State Spartans could be in trouble this week against the Iowa Hawkeyes; and why the SEC title still runs through Tuscaloosa.
For the full breakdown here, you need to be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Lions launching Ford Field bowl, sources say
- QB Lunt mulls Illinois after visit, sources say
- Former Arkansas QB Mitchell picks NC State
- McCartney back on WVU roster after 6 months
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation