These first-year running backs have gone ball-istic
This article appears in the December 14 issue of ESPN The Magazine.
Alabama sophomore Mark Ingram is vying to become only the second running back this decade (along with USC's Reggie Bush in 2005) to win a Heisman. But Ingram's breakout has obscured the emergence of a whole new class of running backs; four freshmen were among the top 10 rushers entering Thanksgiving break. To show how far these frosh have come, we found a preseason coach's quote about each kid, and a late season assessment from a rival.
To read about this year's crop of breakout first-year running backs, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Grantham opts to stay at L'ville over Raiders
- Penn State president: Freeh report 'not useful'
- Report: EKU player hurt in fight with Wildcats
- Sources: ACC to count BYU among Power 5
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
College Football on Insider
Follow the college football season with Insider experts Bruce Feldman, Todd McShay, Mel Kiper and more.
- New World Graphics Men's Pitt Panthers Blue 2013 Football Schedule T-shirt