Bama's D will test Vols' Hardesty
Originally Published: October 22, 2009By ESPN Stats & Information | Special to ESPN.com
1. Several teams outside the SEC need a Texas loss to open their door to a BCS title run, and for those teams, this isn't good news: Under coach Mack Brown, Texas has never lost the game after the Red River Rivalry (11-0) and has won at least the next two games after playing Oklahoma in all 11 of those seasons. The next two games this year are at Missouri and at Oklahoma State -- the only remaining regular-season games in which the Longhorns figure to be favored by fewer than two touchdowns. 2. One of the many surprises related to Oklahoma's 3-3 record is that coach Bob Stoops' mark this season is worse than the records of all four of his former assistants who are currently head coaches in the FBS. Kevin Sumlin has Houston at 5-1 and ranked 17th in the initial BCS standings. Mike Leach's Texas Tech Red Raiders are 5-2 and No. 21 in the AP poll. Bob's brother, Mike, has Arizona at 4-2 and ranked 22nd in the BCS, while Mark Mangino is 5-1 at Kansas and has the Jayhawks 25th in the BCS. Stoops (Bob, that is) makes the trip to Lawrence, Kan., to face Mangino's team on Saturday.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Winston ruled to have not violated FSU code
- Sources: Stanford's Shaw plans to shun NFL
- Report: Former Clemson QB Kelly arrested
- Boise State's top rusher Ajayi to enter draft