South Florida starts 5-0, again
Originally Published: October 15, 2009By ESPN Stats & Information | Special to ESPN.com
1. Saturday's Red River Rivalry will be the 11th head-to-head meeting of Bob Stoops and Mack Brown, the most of any coaching matchup in series history. Barry Switzer and Fred Akers met 10 times from 1977-86. Among major college football rivalries, Stoops and Brown still need several more to reach the 18 meetings of Bear Bryant and Shug Jordan in the Alabama-Auburn series. 2. Georgia Tech, preparing to face No. 4 Virginia Tech, is winless in its last 17 home games against top-5 opponents. The Yellow Jackets have lost their last 10 such games since tying No. 1 Notre Dame in 1980. Their last home victory over a top-5 team was a 7-6 win over top-ranked Alabama in 1962. 3. Urban Meyer is 49-9 as Florida head coach, and a win Saturday vs. Arkansas would tie him with Alabama's Frank Thomas for the fewest games needed to reach 50 wins as an SEC head coach. Thomas was already running the Crimson Tide program when the SEC was founded in 1933, and he went 50-5-4 in the next 59 games.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- FSU starts No. 1 in preseason coaches' poll
- Top Georgia receiver Mitchell reinjures knee
- Source: Maryland, NIU plan home-and-home
- Ex-Heisman winner Lujack OK after surgery