Unsung units you need to know
Oregon's turnaround propelled by its D; Stanford offense epitomizes efficiency
In both standard and advanced measures, a casual fan can probably guess which teams sit atop most offensive and defensive rankings. Schools like Florida, Alabama, Miami and Houston rank at or near the top on offense, while Florida, Virginia Tech, Tennessee and Alabama rank highest on defense.
However, among the predictable entries lie some unheralded units that could lead their teams to some surprising outcomes in October and beyond if they haven't already.To read about a dominating Pac-10 offense, a Florida school lighting up on defense and an overlooked ACC unit, you must be an Insider.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
Brian FremeauESPN Insider
• Creator of the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI), a measure of college football team efficiency
• Contributor to Football Outsiders and his own site, bcftoys.com
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Kiffin to remain Bama OC, won't jump to NFL
- Ohio St. celebrates title in front of 45K fans
- Abdullah leads North by South in Senior Bowl
- Irish's Hardy to transfer after academic inquiry
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Stanford Cardinal Rose Bowl Game Mascot T-shirt