Nebraska looks to snap 0-16 record
Originally Published: September 17, 2009By ESPN Stats & Information | Special to ESPN.com
1. No. 19 Nebraska travels to No. 13 Virginia Tech, hoping to beat a top-20 team on the road for the first time since Tom Osborne was coach. Since Osborne's retirement from coaching after the 1997 season, Nebraska is 0-16 in true road games versus teams ranked in the top 20 of the Associated Press poll. The highest-ranked opponent that Nebraska has beaten in hostile territory since '97 was then-No. 23 Notre Dame in 2000. 2. America is waiting to see how many points Urban Meyer's Florida Gators will hang on Lane Kiffin's Tennessee Volunteers on Saturday, and it will take at least 30 to extend one of Florida's SEC records. The Gators have scored 30-plus points in their past 13 games against SEC opponents, which is the longest streak in conference history. And Tim Tebow isn't the only legendary SEC quarterback to orchestrate a double-digit stretch of such games. Danny Wuerffel led Florida to 11 straight SEC games with 30 or more points (1995 and '96), while Peyton Manning led Tennessee to a 10-game streak (1994 and '95). 3. As Ohio State prepares to play Toledo, here's a reminder that the Buckeyes haven't lost a football game to another team from Ohio since dropping a 7-6 decision to Oberlin in 1921. With one game ending in a tie, it's 40 straight games without a loss and it's 34 straight wins after a tie, if you're scoring at home. The FBS team with the next-longest streak of in-state dominance is LSU, which has won 22 straight against other teams from Louisiana.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA: Gurley must sit out two more games
- Bulldogs, Seminoles top Playoff rankings
- Utes lose WR Anderson for rest of season
- Lawyer's case against FSU's Casher dismissed