FBO: BYU topping the mid-major logjam
Fast start has Cougars in strong position for unbeaten season
The year probably couldn't have gotten off to a better start for the mightiest of the non-BCS conferences. Four so-called "mid-major" teams claimed spots in the preseason polls, and two of them -- the Boise State Broncos and Brigham Young Cougars -- toppled their biggest obstacle to an undefeated season in the opening weekend.
Then, on the second Saturday of action, the Houston Cougars ratcheted up non-BCS expectations even further by running wild in a 45-35 victory over then-No. 5 Oklahoma State in the Cowboys' own stadium.
Central Michigan knocked off a solid Michigan State team in East Lansing. TCU, Colorado State, Toledo, Hawaii and Louisiana-Lafayette have each picked off low-hanging BCS conference fruit this year. Navy, Wyoming and Fresno State gave big-time programs big-time scares.
After offseason proposals -- spearheaded by the Mountain West Conference -- for BCS bowl berth reform fizzled, are we now witnessing a revolution on the field?To break down the non-BCS elites with the best chance of running the table and playing in January bowls, you must be an ESPN Insider.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
Brian FremeauESPN Insider
• Creator of the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI), a measure of college football team efficiency
• Contributor to Football Outsiders and his own site, bcftoys.com
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Buckeyes' Miller throwing ahead of schedule
- Manziel A&M jersey expected to fetch $100K
- Man acquitted in death of EMU football player
- Fitzgerald: Union push 'unified' Northwestern
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
College Football on Insider
Follow the college football season with Insider experts Bruce Feldman, Todd McShay, Mel Kiper and more.
- Schutt Tulsa Golden Hurricanes Mini Football Helmet