Team preview: UNLV
The Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook previews the 2008 UNLV Rebels, exclusively on Insider.
Originally Published: June 30, 2008Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at the Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2008 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of June 20, 2008)COACH AND PROGRAM
When UNLV introduced Mike Sanford as its ninth head coach in December 2004, he was lauded as "one of college football's leading offensive minds" based largely on his success at Utah as Urban Meyer's innovative offensive coordinator. Sanford, 53, still has a great offensive mind, but it's wins that matter and those have been too few and too far between during his tenure with the Rebels. Injuries and inexperience at quarterback have repeatedly derailed his efforts to implement the explosive spread attack that helped the Utes go 21-2 in 2003-04 (and helped Meyer's Florida Gators claim a BCS championship in 2006). With just six wins since taking over for John Robinson, the 2008 season is likely Sanford's last roll of the dice in Las Vegas.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com