Team preview: Washington
The Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook previews the 2007 Washington Huskies, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2007 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of June 20, 2007)COACH AND PROGRAM
Washington emerged as one of college football's surprise teams last season after completing a 4-1 September with an impressive 21-10 victory at Arizona. The wins didn't come against inferior competition in those glorified-controlled scrimmages many other BCS conference programs play against I-AA programs, either. The victims included San Jose State, which finished 8-4 and played in a bowl game, Fresno State and UCLA while Washington played valiantly in a loss to Oklahoma. However, some hard luck ended head coach Tyrone Willingham's efforts to return Washington to a bowl game for the first time since 2002. The Huskies dropped back-to-back games in overtime to Cal after giving USC all it could handle before falling 26-20, and that was just about it. Just about it became officially done when Washington suffered without debate its most disappointing defeat in the Willingham era, 20-3 at home against Stanford on Nov. 11. It would be the lone win of the season for the Cardinal. After the game, Willingham said, "You always get that question: 'Is it a step back?' In this case, I have to say, 'Yes, it is.' I felt like this was a ballgame that we could win and then we could position ourselves to go into next week and still have a chance at a bowl-eligible season. We didn't respond."
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford hires Texas' Akina as secondary coach
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Washington Huskies Coaches Performance White Polo
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider