Missouri fighting to stay atop Big 12 North
From Kansas' struggles to Nebraska's upcoming trap game to the Longhorns' defense, the Big 12 is covered here.
Updated: October 25, 2006, 9:41 PM ETBy Tim Griffin | Special to ESPN.com
The loss of senior defensive end Brian Smith, Missouri's career leader in sacks, will pose a big problem the rest of the season. Smith suffered a fractured hip in the Tigers' victory over Kansas State while blocking an interception return by David Overstreet. Coach Gary Pinkel described the injury as a "freak accident."
"If you saw the film, you would say there was no way he could get hurt," Pinkel said. "He turned and stumbled with hardly any contact. You would be amazed that anybody got hurt on the play."
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Former TCU star Fields commits to Louisville
- L'ville to make Grantham among richest DCs
- Missouri AD grateful, regretful in stepping down
- No. 1 QB Murray stays with A&M after UT visit
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Missouri Tigers Gold Football Practice Legend T-shirt