Team preview: Boise State
The Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook previews the 2006 Boise State Broncos, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 119 Division I-A teams. To order the complete 2006 edition of Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255). (All information as of July 1, 2006)COACH AND PROGRAM
For the second time in five years, Boise State will try to maintain continuity through massive change on the coaching staff.
Chris Petersen, the acclaimed offensive coordinator the last five years, takes over from his good friend Dan Hawkins, who left to become the head coach at Colorado.
Hawkins got the BSU job in 2001, when his boss Dirk Koetter left for Arizona State.
"I'm humbled, I'm awe-struck and most of all I'm just looking forward to keeping this thing rolling," Petersen said upon accepting the job. "And with the people around here, there's no doubt in my mind that we will."
Petersen, 41, was non-committal about his desire to become a head coach when Hawkins flirted with jobs in previous years. This time, though, he never wavered. He looked at Colorado and decided he was better suited to lead the Broncos.
"This truly is a dream of mine," Petersen said. " I wouldn't get myself into a situation I didn't feel extremely confident about."
Petersen, a UC Davis product like Hawkins, is less philosophical than Hawkins and is known as a pessimistic perfectionist. He garners great respect from the players for his easy-going, friendly demeanor off the field and cunning offensive strategy on it.
"We've always liked Pete and feel we can relate to him," senior linebacker and co-captain Colt Brooks said. "Pete's all about football and he's all about winning, and we're with that. We feel very confident in him."
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Boise State Broncos Full-Size Autograph Football
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider