Smith determined to follow in Bulluck's footsteps
LB Kelvin Smith is determined to help Syracuse improve and follow in the footsteps of a group of elite Orange alums.
Updated: April 27, 2006, 3:51 PM ETBy Joe Starkey | Special to ESPN.com
What's it like when your team finishes 1-10 to become the first team in the 116-year history of your school's football program to achieve double-digit losses?
"It sucks," said Syracuse middle linebacker Kelvin Smith.
That much we might have guessed, but last season was especially hard on Smith because of his close ties to a group of eminent Syracuse alums. Guys like Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, Indianapolis Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney and Tennessee Titans linebacker Keith Bulluck, who is Smith's uncle, won a lot of games at the Carrier Dome before moving on to NFL stardom.
Jerome Davis/Icon SMI Kelvin Smith led the Orange with 84 tackles in 2005.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Longhorns WRs charged with sexual assault
- Auburn's Marshall pays pot possession fines
- Washington QB Miles suspended for opener
- Bowling Green gets former Baylor WR Rhodes
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New World Graphics Men's Syracuse Orange 2014 Football Schedule Orange T-Shirt