Former Marine hopes to improve Baylor's offense
Lee Hays, a former Marine and the new offensive coordinator at Baylor, has taken an unusual route to join the Bears' coaching staff.
Updated: April 26, 2006, 11:59 AM ETBy Tim Griffin | Special to ESPN.com
WACO, Texas -- The state-owned late-model Ford LTD looked like something the Blues Brothers once would have driven.
Like Jake and Elwood Blues before him, Lee Hays also was on a mission. His unconventional path to enlightenment -- at least in a football sense - came from watching as many Texas Tech football practices as possible.
Hays often made the lonely 210-mile roundtrip drive along Interstate 27 several times each week in the gas-guzzling cruiser from the West Texas A&M campus to Lubbock in order to gain a better understanding of coach Mike Leach's offense.
Baylor AthleticsLee Hays took an unusual path to the Baylor sideline.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Report: EKU player hurt in fight with Wildcats
- Two ex-Vanderbilt players convicted of rape
- CFP group to discuss Navy's bowl eligibility
- CFP officials won't budge on semis, title dates
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Baylor Bears 'baylor Nation' Goodyear Cotton Bowl Classic Bound Green T-shirt