Erickson makes immediate improvement on Carpenter, Sun Devils
Originally Published: October 23, 2007By Todd McShay | Scouts Inc.
Arizona State's football program toiled in mediocrity during Dirk Koetter's six-year tenure as head coach. Ultimately, it was Koetter's botched handling of a quarterback controversy that gave the administration an excuse to fire a coach who finished with a 40-34 record.
Less than two weeks before the 2006 season opener, Koetter selected senior Sam Keller as his starter. Then, one day after announcing his decision to the media, Koetter did an about-face and gave sophomore Rudy Carpenter the starting nod. Koetter spoke with 19 players at a meeting before reversing the decision. Keller immediately transferred to Nebraska and Carpenter was left to captain a divided ship.
Stephen Dunn/Getty ImagesArizona State's Rudy Carpenter has improved dramatically in his junior year.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Grantham opts to stay at L'ville over Raiders
- Penn State president: Freeh report 'not useful'
- Report: EKU player hurt in fight with Wildcats
- Two ex-Vanderbilt players convicted of rape
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Arizona State Sun Devils Maroon Football Practice Legend T-shirt