Speedsters Johnson, Avery debut on top 25 Big Board
There have been several standout performances during the bowl season, highlighted by three seniors who proved they belong on my top 25 Big Board.
Originally Published: January 2, 2008By Mel Kiper Jr. | ESPN.com
- There have been several fantastic performances during the bowl season, but three individual standouts in particular have caught my attention. East Carolina running back Chris Johnson rushed for 223 yards and a score and also had a receiving touchdown in the Pirates' win over Boise State. Johnson debuts this week on my top 25 Big Board as the top running back in the senior class because of his speed, power running and versatility. Also debuting this week is Houston wide receiver Donnie Avery, who had 10 receptions for 120 yards against TCU. Like Johnson, Avery has tremendous speed (4.35 in the 40-yard dash) and has great hands and will be an asset on a team that uses three- and four-receiver sets.On defense, UCLA linebacker Bruce Davis was outstanding against BYU in the Las Vegas Bowl with seven tackles, 3½ for loss, including 2½ sacks and a forced fumble.[+] EnlargeGary A. Vasquez/US PresswireUCLA's Bruce Davis, top, will be an ideal DE/OLB in a three-four defense in the NFL.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Stanford's Shaw opposed to early signing day
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com