Cal's Hawkins debuts in a big way on Big Board
Lavelle Hawkins found a home at Cal in Jeff Tedford's offense, and he's proven to be one of the top wide receivers in the nation, writes Mel Kiper.
Originally Published: October 17, 2007By Mel Kiper Jr. | ESPN.com
- Cal lost a chance at the No. 1 ranking, losing at home Oregon State. Despite the loss, Cal WR Lavelle Hawkins saw his NFL draft stock rise dramatically. He proved to be almost unstoppable, finishing with nine receptions for 192 yards (21.3 yards per catch) and two touchdowns.Hawkins has blazing speed, shows excellent hands and concentration, has great feet and is able to accelerate and locate the deep ball as well as any receiver in the country, and that's why he debuts on this week's Top 25 Big Board at No. 25.Jed Jacobsohn/Getty ImagesLavelle Hawkins had a season-high nine receptions against Oregon State.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
- Sources: No penalty for reversed targeting call
- Missouri rewards Pinkel with bump to $3.1M
- Heisman RBs Salaam, Williams on Hall ballot
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com