John Brantley can be elite in 2011
Brantley's passing skills and Charlie Weis' offense could lead a Gators turnaround
One of the secrets to Steve Spurrier's success during his days as the Florida Gators head coach was that he spent as much time coaching up the receiving corps as he did the quarterbacks.
Spurrier understood that while having a field general with superb accuracy, toughness and the ability to read defenses was extremely valuable, all of those skills could effectively be rendered useless if the pass-catchers weren't where they were supposed to be when they were supposed to be there. (This is a rarely discussed aspect in the discussion of why some Florida quarterbacks did less in the NFL than expected.)
The Ol' Ball Coach may no longer be patrolling the sidelines in Gainesville, but his methodology regarding pass-catchers is one of many changes that new Florida offensive coordinator Charlie Weis can implement to help senior quarterback John Brantley become one of the best passers in college football this season.
To read KC Joyner's full take on John Brantley and why he can become an elite passer under offensive coordinator Charlie Weis in 2011 (plus, a note on how Brantley compares favorably to Peyton Manning), become an ESPN Insider today.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Oklahoma St. limits QB Lunt's options
- For Irish, may be BCS or bust for bowl spot
- Saban: 'Devil' words 'terribly disappointing'
- Running back Richardson will leave Virginia
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
• Joyner: Prospects set for breakout seasons
• Haney: Prospects who can elevate programs
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation