For Arizona, good luck to Andrew Luck
Wildcats' defense, considered elite, isn't -- it's lucky. That's bad news Saturday.
Napoleon Bonaparte was once asked what qualities he looked for in a general. He certainly wanted intelligence, courage and a fighting spirit, but none of those were the most important attribute in his mind.
Instead, the trait Bonaparte said was most important was whether or not the man was lucky. He figured luck was something that followed great men wherever they went and was a significant part of why they achieved the levels of success they did.
In the football world, the idea of good fortune is usually thought to have an entirely different meaning. Most of the time it is associated with average teams that post good records (e.g., a team with 6-6 talent that goes 8-4). It isn't often applied to elite or near-elite programs because the sports world in general figures that a dominant record cannot come about as a product of providence.
The truth of the matter is that Napoleon was right. Luck can be just as much of a factor among top-level talents as it can among mid-level ones.
This is what has happened to some extent with the Arizona Wildcats' defense.
For KC Joyner's full argument, you need to be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Sources: Oklahoma St. limits QB Lunt's options
- For Irish, may be BCS or bust for bowl spot
- Saban: 'Devil' words 'terribly disappointing'
- Running back Richardson will leave Virginia
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
• Joyner: Prospects set for breakout seasons
• Haney: Prospects who can elevate programs
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation