Denard Robinson should fear Sparty
Michigan State run defense presents biggest challenge for prolific quarterback
I don't know if Michigan State Spartans coach Mark Dantonio is much of a history buff, but if he is, he might do well to tell his team the tale of Union general Ulysses S. Grant's early Civil War confrontation against Confederate colonel Thomas Harris.
Grant was filled with fear as he and his men approached the top of a hill over which they were expecting to see Harris' troops encamped. After reaching the summit and finding the camp empty, Grant had an epiphany. He realized that Harris and his soldiers had left the base because they feared the potential conflict.
Once Grant understood this, it forever changed the way he viewed his opponents. He said, "From that event to the end of the war, I never experienced trepidation upon confronting an enemy. I never forgot that he had as much reason to fear my forces as I had his."
The reason this lesson is useful is that it might be entirely reasonable to think that the Green and White defenders could have more than a bit of trepidation in facing Michigan Wolverines quarterback Denard Robinson.
His running skills seem out of this world; he leads the FBS in rushing yards and is second in rushing touchdowns. That would be enough, but "Shoelace" also has the fourth-highest passer rating as well. Put those two together and it may seem like the Spartans are facing someone who is a combination of Oregon Ducks running back LaMichael James and Iowa Hawkeyes quarterback Ricky Stanzi.
For Joyner's full argument on Denard vs. MSU this Saturday, you need to be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Ex-PSU prez seeks dismissal of criminal charges
- Harwell, nation's No. 2 WR in '11, off to Kansas
- Oregon releases additional docs in NCAA probe
- Lions launching Ford Field bowl, sources say
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation