Don't read too much into BCS this time of year
Even with one loss, the LSU Tigers remain in control of their destiny in the SEC West, writes Kirk Herbstreit.
- Boston College at Virginia Tech will be ESPN's most anticipated Thursday-night matchup of the season. BC competed early in the season with Florida State and has proven to be a legitimate contender in the ACC. Depending on what happens in the Seminoles' three remaining conference games, Boston College-Virginia Tech could be preview of the inaugural ACC title game.
However, it will take a nearly perfect game for the Eagles to win in Blacksburg. Virginia Tech rallies around an opponent's mistakes and scores in bunches. If a visiting team makes any mistake at all (a turnover or a blocked punt), Lane Stadium turns into an absolute madhouse, and that's where things typically start to unravel for the visitor. Coach Tom O'Brien's team is fundamentally sound, so I'm excited to see how the Eagles execute against a Hokies team that thrives on forcing mistakes.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
- Sources: No penalty for reversed targeting call
- Missouri rewards Pinkel with bump to $3.1M
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider