Like the eye of the storm? Be an SID
Sports information directors are stuck between the shark-like media and the all-powerful coaches, writes Beano Cook.
Originally Published: October 18, 2005By Beano Cook | ESPN Insider
In 1957, the University of Maryland football brochure -- they're now called media guides -- placed an unusual individual on the cover, which was typically reserved for the football coach or a player the sports information director hoped might win the Heisman Trophy.
Maryland passed on picking a coach or a player.
Instead, Queen Elizabeth graced the cover of the Terps' brochure because she planned to visit America and attend a game at College Park, Md.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA settles concussion suit with $70M fund
- OU RB meets with police over alleged assault
- OK State has APR penalty rescinded by NCAA
- Kentucky great 'Wah Wah' Jones dies at 88
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- New World Graphics Men's Texas Longhorns Black 2013 Football Schedule T-Shirt