Like the eye of the storm? Be an SID
Sports information directors are stuck between the shark-like media and the all-powerful coaches, writes Beano Cook.
Originally Published: October 18, 2005By Beano Cook | ESPN Insider
In 1957, the University of Maryland football brochure -- they're now called media guides -- placed an unusual individual on the cover, which was typically reserved for the football coach or a player the sports information director hoped might win the Heisman Trophy.
Maryland passed on picking a coach or a player.
Instead, Queen Elizabeth graced the cover of the Terps' brochure because she planned to visit America and attend a game at College Park, Md.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Report: EKU player hurt in fight with Wildcats
- Two ex-Vanderbilt players convicted of rape
- CFP group to discuss Navy's bowl eligibility
- CFP officials won't budge on semis, title dates
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Texas Longhorns White #28 Football Game Jersey