Beamer has made Hokies a national power
Virginia Tech is a prime example of how vision and coaching can close the gaps on traditional powers.
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute used to be VPI. Now it's known as Virginia Tech.
Maybe the powers that be felt Virginia Tech had a better ring to it. Or maybe they wanted to become high class and raise tuition. Or maybe they didn't want to be confused with VMI.
Regardless, Virginia Tech has had no trouble creating a new identity, thanks in a large part to the Hokies' football program.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Nebraska, Pelini agree to one-year extension
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- Former Vols coach Majors in stable condition
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider