The Poinsettia Bowl and variance
Why SDSU vs. Navy is among the most interesting games of the season
- Getty ImagesWhen Ricky Dobbs and the triple option are rolling, it's very hard to stop Navy.
If you spend any amount of time analyzing college football, bowl season can be pretty tough to call correctly. This year has mostly been chalk -- but with long layoffs, final exams, coaching changes and more, it's usually fairly tough to predict these games accurately. As analysts, how do we approach the problem of forecasting what is supposed to happen in these games based on game data that doesn't include any of these factors?
The first data point worth considering is variance in play over the course of a season.
For FBO's full take, you need to be an ESPN Insider.
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- FSU's Fisher: 'We're not defending anything'
- Sources: No penalty for reversed targeting call
- Missouri rewards Pinkel with bump to $3.1M
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
- NCAAF Home
- CFB Nation
- Awards Tracker
- BCS Standings
- Bowl Projections
- Pick Center
- Power Rankings
- Revenue and Expenses
- Weekly Leaders
- FCS Insider