A Bob Stoops-Will Muschamp tie
Think first-time head coaches can't win? Incorrect. Look to Norman and other sites
Al Davis could have had his pick of many coaches to take over as the silver-and-black's on-the-field leader, but he chose John Madden in part because of what Madden said during the interview process.
This was an unexpected turn of events not only because Madden was not a name on the NFL radar but also because he had not served as a head coach at the professional level.
That certainly would seem to be a factor that would be hard to overcome, but according to his book, "Hey, Wait A Minute (I Wrote A Book!)", Madden handled it by telling Davis, "I don't have any head-coaching experience in the NFL, but if I don't get this job, I'm not going to have any head-coaching experience three years from now or five years from now."
Madden was obviously a success story despite having a seemingly limited background, but the lack-of-job-experience quandary that he ran into is one that coaches still run into today.
For all the question marks surrounding Muschamp, the most common seems to be whether someone with no previous head-coaching experience can succeed.
For KC Joyner's full argument, you need to be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Starting QB Golson no longer at Notre Dame
- Hurricanes TE Dye, NCAA to discuss affidavit
- Notre Dame paid Weis more than Kelly in 2011
- Ex-Penn State QB Bench transferring to USF
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation