- Chicago, ILHometown
- Whitney Young High School
- 185 lbsWeight
- 45Overall Rank
- 13Position Rank
- Mar 12, 2011
- Sam Thompson, Whitney Young drop sectional final
- Ohio State-bound wing Sam Thompson managed just two points as Whitney Young lost their 4A York Sectional final 44-42 to Farragut on Friday night.
Terrific 25 sophomore Thomas Hamilston, Jr. led the Dolphins with 12 points.
- Mar 9, 2011
- Sam Thompson helps Whitney Young past De La Salle
- Ohio State-bound wing Sam Thompson's team-high 16 points helped Whitney Young knock off De La Salle 59-56 on Tuesday in a Class 4a York Sectional semifinal.
ESPNU 100 watch list freshman Jahlil Okafor was terrific for Young, scoring 12 points while battling Illinois signee Mike Shaw.
Shaw was held to nine points for De La Salle. Andre Henley led the Meteors with 24 points.
- Mar 5, 2011
- Sam Thompson, Whitney Young win regional final
- Ohio State-bound wing Sam Thompson scored a team-high 13 points in Whitney Young's 50-46 win over St. Ignatius in a Class 4A regional final on Friday.
Illinois recruit Nnanna Egwu had a terrific game for St. Ignatius finishing with 16 points, 13 rebounds and six blocks.
The Dolphins will take on De La Salle on Tuesday in the York sectional.
- Feb 19, 2011
- Sam Thompson, Whitney Young fall in City title game
- Ohio State signee Sam Thompson was held to 13 points and seven rebounds as Whitney Young dropped the City championship game 67-54 to Brooks on Friday night.
Wisconsin-bound guard George Marshall led all scorers with 23 points for Brooks.
- Feb 17, 2011
- Sam Thompson, Whitney Young hand Simeon first loss
- ESPNU 100 wing Sam Thompson scored 13 points and Whitney Young handed Simeon Academy their first loss of the season 64-50 in a Public League semifinal on Wednesday.
Junior point guard Derrick Randolph led the Dolphins with 20 points and five assists while Terrific 25 center Thomas Hamilton chipped in 13 points and seven boards.
For Simeon, sophomore forward Jabari Parker had 11 points.
Whitney Young will face Brooks on Friday night for the City title.
- Jan 26, 2011
- Sam Thompson gets 16 in Whitney Young loss
- Ohio State recruit Sam Thompson scored 16 points and grabbed five rebounds but it wasn't enough as Whitney Young fell to Crane 60-53 on Tuesday.
- Jan 21, 2011
- Sam Thompson, Whitney Young take down Orr
- Ohio State signee Sam Thompson finished with 16 points, five rebounds, three assists and two blocks all while holding Illinois recruit Mycheal Henry to just 11 points And one field goal in Whitney Young's 49-39 win over Chicago Orr on Thursday.
Terrific 25 forward Tommy Hamilton played well for the Dolphins, garnering 12 points, 7 rebounds, 2 blocks.
- Jan 18, 2011
- Sam Thompson, Whitney Young lose at FTTH
- Ohio State-bound wing Sam Thompson scored a game-high 24 points but it wasn't enough on Monday as Whitney Young fell to Wayne (Ohio) 74-55 in final game of the Flyin' to the Hoop event in Kettering, Ohio.
Providence-bound small forward Markus Crider led Wayne with 18 points.
- Jan 14, 2011
- Sam Thompson, Whitney Young lose close one
- Ohio State-bound Sam Thompson scored 11 points and grabbed eight boards but Whitney Young fell in a close one 51-49 to Farragut on Thursday.
- Dec 15, 2010
- Sam Thompson's all-around effort powers Whitney Young
- Ohio State recruit Sam Thompson finished with 17 points, eight rebounds, three blocks and two assists as Whitney Young rolled by North Lawndale 62-49 on Tuesday night.
Thompson and his Dolphin teammates will appear on ESPNU on Thursday at 5 p.m. ET taking on No. 1 power forward Anthony Davis and Chicago Perspectives.
- Dec 11, 2010
- Sam Thompson, Whitney Young take down Lee
- Ohio State-bound small forward Sam Thompson scored 18 points to lead Whitney Young past Lee (Ala.) 54-48 on Friday night in the Best of the Midwest Shootout.
- Nov 28, 2010
- Sam Thompson leads Whitney Young past Wallace
- In a battle of ESPNU 100 prospects, Ohio State-bound small forward Sam Thompson's and Whitney Young (Ill.) took down future Michigan State guard Branden Dawson and Wallace (Gary, Ind.) 53-38 on Saturday at the Lakeshore Basketball Classic in Gary, Ind.
Thompson finished with 11 points while Dawson managed 17.
- Sep 19, 2010
- Sam Thompson will be a Buckeye
- ESPNU 100 small forward Sam Thompson ended his recruitment on Sunday when the 6'7 Chicago native verbally committed to Ohio State.
Thompson chose the Buckeyes over Florida, Oregon State, Georgetown and Kansas, among others.
"Sam gives the Buckeyes a versatile wing who can play and defend all three perimeter positions," according to ESPN.com's Reggie Rankin.
"(Ohio State head coach) Thad Matta will have fun moving this athletic wing around in their spread offense and multiple defenses not to mention the highlights he will provide Buckeye fans on the fast break."
Thompson is the third ESPNU 100 prospect to pick the Buckeyes, joining LaQuinton Ross and Shannon Scott.
- Jun 20, 2010
- Sam Thompson, Pistons capture NBPA Championship
- Illinois small forward Sam Thompson scored 12 points as his Pistons squad captured the championship of the NBPA Top 100 Camp on Saturday night.
Nick Faust also added 12 points while DeAndre Daniels, who finished with 11 points, put on a mini scoring display in the second half to push the lead ahead for good. Jabari Parker finished with 10 for the Pistons.
Dezmine Wells was terrific, scoring 25 points for the Hawks. Josiah Turner added 15 points in the close loss. Chane Behanan and Anthony Davis finished with 12 each for the Hawks.