Team preview: UNC Greensboro
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005-06 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams. To order the complete 25th anniversary edition of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).
(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)
In his first stint as head coach at Greensboro, Mike Dement helped take the program from Division II into Division I and the Big South Conference and to a 23-win season.
Now, 10 years later, he's back in Greensboro. Some things are the same -- "It's literally the same office furniture I bought16 years ago. It's like a time machine," Dement said -- but the situation is very different. This time around, he inherits a team that won 18 games and barely lost in the league championship game.
"Sixteen years ago, we were on nobody's radar. We were a poor Division II team," Dement said. "Now we've got a tradition and the school has had some success. It's a lot easier to pick up the phone and talk to people when they know who you are. It's the difference in 'we want to be good' and 'we've been good.' "
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Embiid (back) could be out until mid-NCAAs
- Florida, Wichita St. remain 1-2; UK falls out
- Delaware clinches 1st NCAA bid since 1999
- Manhattan wins MAAC, punches NCAA ticket
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM