Team preview: Texas-Pan American
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005-06 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams. To order the complete 25th anniversary edition of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).
(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)
Texas-Pan American coach Robert Davenport knows it would be easy to dismiss his team.
After all, the Broncs lost just about everybody who was anybody from last season's team, including all five starters. And that group managed only a 12-16 record.
But those losses, Davenport believes, could be UTPA's gain. The coach filled all those vacant positions with a slew of junior college players he sees as ready to make a difference now.
"An outsider looking in would say, 'Well, they only have three lettermen returning and no starters,' '' he said, "but the guys we signed are really good players.
"I really like this group. I like their attitude and work ethic, but at the same time I think we've got guys who have played in programs in which they expect to be winners. That's the one thing I see that's different this year as opposed to the past year. This group has high expectations.''
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Harvard snags 1st spot in NCAA tourney field
- Wichita St. routs Evansville, improves to 32-0
- South Carolina coach Martin sorry for outburst
- Duke's Parker hasn't decided on NBA draft
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM