Team preview: St. Bonaventure
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005-06 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams. To order the complete 25th anniversary edition of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).
(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)
Anthony Solomon had always dreamed of being a college head coach.
Thus far, that dream has been a nightmare. Solomon took over a program in shambles after the Bonnies, then coached by Jan van Breda Kolff, used an ineligible player (Jamil Terrell) with a welding certificate. After Terrell was suspended and the program was forced to forfeit the games he played, things got worse when St. Bonaventure's players refused to play the games still on their 2002-03 schedule.
That's when Solomon arrived to clean up the mess. He went 7-21 in his inaugural season and then 2-26 last year. And the bad news wasn't just on the scoreboard. One recruit, a big man, was charged with plagiarism and a number of key players defected (i.e. Mike Gansey, Mario Boggan and Charles Burch).
After the Bonnies finished with their worst record in school history (2-26) last winter, St. Solomon (9-47 record in two seasons) promised changes -- and there have been.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Parker's career-high 30 lead Duke by UNC
- Florida routs Kentucky to finish 18-0 in SEC
- WVU overcomes Wiggins' 41 to stun Kansas
- Ducks down No. 3 Arizona to win 7th straight
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM