Team preview: Sacramento State
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2005-06 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams. To order the complete 25th anniversary edition of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).
(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)COACH AND PROGRAM
For the first time in five years, the Hornets didn't improve on their win total from the previous season.
Still, fifth-year coach Jerome Jenkins has changed the course of basketball in what used to be one of the nation's worst -- if not the worst -- Division I program just less than 10 years ago. The pre-Jenkins era: An average of just 4.1 victories per season for six years. After Jenkins' arrival: 10.2 wins per season. Qualifying for the NCAA Tournament this year is not out of the realm of possibility. With four talented starters returning -- including perhaps the league's top player -- and nine letter-winners coming back, a losing season would be a major disappointment. Getting bounced in the conference tournament's first round like last season would be equally disheartening.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Parker's career-high 30 lead Duke by UNC
- Florida routs Kentucky to finish 18-0 in SEC
- WVU overcomes Wiggins' 41 to stun Kansas
- Ducks down No. 3 Arizona to win 7th straight
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM