Team preview: Purdue
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005-06 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
Updated: October 30, 2005, 2:51 AM ETBlue Ribbon Yearbook
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams. To order the complete 25th anniversary edition of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).
(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)COACH AND PROGRAM
A gruff yet beneficent potentate recedes willfully into the golden years, but not before christening a carefully groomed successor and seeing his name stamped upon the courtyard of his dominion's castle. Is this West Lafayette or Westphalia? After 25 years of comb-overs, fussiness and fundamentals, Gene Keady has relinquished the Purdue head coaching job. His retirement leaves only three Division I hoops mentors -- Syracuse's Jim Boeheim, Duke's Mike Krzyzewski and Eastern Illinois' Rick Samuels -- who have headed the same program for at least 25 consecutive seasons. With preparation typical of a master of the profession, Keady, a six-time national coach of the year, helped orchestrate a smooth transition of power by hiring former Boilermaker guard Matt Painter as an associate head coach in April of 2004.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Fond farewell: Terps stun Virginia in ACC finale
- Ejim chosen over Wiggins as Big 12's POY
- Coastal Carolina ends 21-year NCAA drought
- Parker's career-high 30 lead Duke by UNC
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
ESPN.com: Help | Press | Advertise on ESPN.com | Sales Media Kit | Interest-Based Ads | Corrections | Contact Us | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN | Go.com