Team preview: Northern Arizona
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2005-06 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams. To order the complete 25th anniversary edition of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).
(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)COACH AND PROGRAM
It's tough to figure Northern Arizona out. One year the Lumberjacks are up, the next they're down. Last year was a downer as the 'Jacks failed to qualify for the Big Sky Tournament -- six of the eight conference teams make it -- as they finished a disappointing seventh in the league.
On paper, this could be another upswing year for NAU. Four starters return, but then again, those four starters guided Northern Arizona to an 11-17 record last year. The top tier of the conference -- Montana, Montana State, and Sacramento State -- has just too much talent for NAU to make a run for the conference crown. A middle of the pack scenario would probably suit the 'Jacks well, and they should at least qualify for the conference tournament. Last season was just one big disaster in league play. After pushing out to a solid 8-6 record in non-conference games, NAU went 2-2 to start conference play. But NAU went 2-11 down the stretch, knocking the 'Jacks out of the conference tournament.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Harvard snags 1st spot in NCAA tourney field
- Wichita St. routs Evansville, improves to 32-0
- South Carolina coach Martin sorry for outburst
- Duke's Parker hasn't decided on NBA draft
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM