Team preview: George Washington
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005-06 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams. To order the complete 25th anniversary edition of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).
(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)
This time last year, most experts expected George Washington to become an NCAA Tournament team.
The Colonials returned their top seven scorers from an 18-win NIT team in a year when the rest of traditional Atlantic 10 powers had some rebuilding to do.
Five months later, George Washington fulfilled the great expectations. With a 76-67 victory over Saint Joseph's in the 2005 Atlantic 10 Tournament title game, the Colonials locked up that Big Dance invite. They were the only NCAA team from the Atlantic 10, a league that produced two Elite Eight teams the previous March (Saint Joseph's, Xavier) but was way down last winter.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Self 'confident' Embiid will play despite back
- Wichita State reaches 34-0, wins MVC final
- Fond farewell: Terps stun Virginia in ACC finale
- Nebraska upsets ninth-ranked Wisconsin
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM