Team preview: Dayton
Blue Ribbon Yearbook previews the 2005-06 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams. To order the complete 25th anniversary edition of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).
(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)
Last spring, when DePaul was reportedly interested in hiring away Dayton coach Brian Gregory, no one could have been that surprised.
Gregory, a native of Mount Prospect, Ill. who grew up watching DePaul games, isn't even 40 and already has a sterling resume. He won as one of Tom Izzo's lieutenants at Michigan State and he's winning at Dayton (42-20 mark) with the same formula of tough defense, relentless rebounding and balanced scoring. Only Dayton coaching legend Don Donhoer (45 wins) has more victories with the Flyers in his first two seasons than Gregory.
But when Gregory quickly stated that he wasn't interested in the Blue Demons' job (DePaul hired another A-10 coach with Windy City ties in Jerry Wainwright), it served notice of what Gregory thinks of the Flyers' future.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- UCSB fan confronts Hawaii coach, arrested
- No. 6 Villanova seals Big East title with win
- Appling-led Spartans hit on all cylinders in win
- Kilpatrick's 34 pace Cincinnati by Memphis
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM