Team preview: Cal State Fullerton
Blue Ribbon Illustrated previews the 2005-06 college basketball season, exclusively on Insider.
- Editor's Note: ESPN Insider has teamed with Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook to provide a comprehensive look at all 326 Division I teams. To order the complete 25th anniversary edition of Blue Ribbon College Basketball Yearbook, visit www.blueribbonyearbook.com or call 1-866-805-BALL (2255).
(Information in this team report is as of October 1.)
Coaches hate being called the favorite, and Cal State Fullerton's Bobby Burton is no different.
But even as he tried to deflect the praise when told his Titans seem to be the popular choice to win the Big West title, he couldn't help beaming, just a little, with the pride of a man who has built a program from nothing. "Obviously, that's great to hear,'' said Burton, who took over a team that went 10-19 the season before he arrived in 2003. "A lot of guys would say, 'Oh, God, I don't want to hear that,' but from where our program was a couple years ago, to hear that now ... It may not be true, but it's nice for me at least to live in a fantasy world.'' The fantasy, though, has become reality. In what is expected to be a tight race among four or more teams, Fullerton is the one to beat.
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.
MORE MEN'S COLLEGE BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Embiid (back) could be out until mid-NCAAs
- Florida, Wichita St. remain 1-2; UK falls out
- Delaware clinches 1st NCAA bid since 1999
- Manhattan wins MAAC, punches NCAA ticket
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM